[TriLUG] anybody tried the faster wireless hardware yet?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 25 22:27:42 EST 2002

I have tested some of the 802.11a hardware in supported 54 meg
varieties and tested trunking 802.11a beta gear as well.  The bad news
about 802.11a vs 802.11b (for home use) is the 5 Ghz signal just
doesn't travel through walls (and other home clutter) as well as the
2.4 Ghz 802.11b stuff.  It's also half duplex and has the 1 bit/11 bit
translation, just like 802.11b (but don't quote me on the 1b/11b - I'm
only about 99.1% sure of that) so you're not going to mistake it for
plugging into a 100 meg port (full or half duplex for that matter).

Anyway what I've found is I will keep running 802.11b at the house
until the signal becomes to jammed I'll have to switch to 802.11a (or
802.11g when/if it ever comes on-line).  If I need to do a backup (or
some other bandwidth intensive operation) I'll just lug my butt
upstairs and plug into the 10/100 switch.

Greg