[TriLUG] Fonts in Open Office under Gnome and X11 settings

Roberto J Dohnert RobertoDohnert at netscape.net
Tue Nov 26 01:34:18 EST 2002

Im using Linux on a 200 mhz Toshiba laptop with a Silicon Motion Video card.  With the Silicon Motion card under Red Hat Linux 7.3 when I try to set X I have an unusual problem.  It is only a 2 meg vid card but when I try to set it to 2 megs it tells me that it cannot test my settings that there is a problem with my configuration.  The only time it does not give me errors is if I set the Video Ram to 16 megs and X will start properly, I went to Silicon Motions site to look for updated drivers but it tells me that it is part of XFree86 I downloaded the updated XFree86 4.2.1 but I still have the same problem X will only start if I set it to 16 megs of Vid ram, any suggestions ?  I also am having a problem with Open Office, fonts look like crap,  Helvetica doesnt look like Helvetica and Times dosnt look like times.  As always thanks for any help