[TriLUG] Feedback Request - Redhat 8.0 Stability

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Nov 26 10:53:06 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 10:02, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> Hi Folks,

Hi there

> Before I start updating my three fairly trustworthy installations of
> Redhat 7.2, I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback on how
> stable and reliable 8.0 has been.  Is there anything that will need
> immediate updating?  Any annoying problems?

"problems":
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh8-errata.html

UTF-8 is a PITA, specialy if you work with non-English languages.

good things:

gcc-3.2 makes things go noticeably faster than with the previous
gcc-2.96. Keep in mind though, gcc-3.2 is way more strict than gcc-2.95,
so if you compile your own stuff, maybe something won't compile. Blame
the code for not following C/C++ directives (all those warnings...)

menu more Debian-style (that is, unified among different desktops)

RedHatNetwork. 'nuff said. (1 free account, IIRC)

apt-get for Red Hat is easy to install

> I've been using Ximian Gnome and Red Carpet to keep my current systems
> up to date.  Does anyone know whether they support Redhat 8 yet?

Gnome 2 (included in RedHat 8.0) is beautiful, fast, cool, works... It's
worth saying that I'm a  KDE-man. So, if you are a Gnome-guy, you'll
love it. Kudos to Gnome team and RH for the beautification of Gnome 2.

Red Carpet. Let me say it this way:

Red Carpet doesn't bother to follow the (open) specifications for
package installation in Red Hat Linux. AFAIK, it never has. So the
update just doesn't work. In order to upgrade, you will need first to
uninstall the whole Red Carpet thing.

> The one thing I am looking forward to is to stop using gcc 2.96.  I use
> two of these machines for development.

you will live gcc-3.2 then

> Thanks for any help,

>                        Scott C.