[TriLUG] Scanner recommendations

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 26 20:38:07 EST 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 12:32, Michael Thompson wrote:
> What brand/model scanner would be my best bet for Linux compatibility?
> I have checked the sane web site and have selected a few models from
> their list but was wondering if anyone on the list has any comments or
> suggestions?  I don't do very much scanning, so I hope to find something
> cheap.

Read this:

http://www.mostang.com/sane/index.html

I am shopping for a scanner and a dig cam.  The USB links push Epson.  THey
are expensive and kind of lagging in density compared with other brands.

I am looking at the $129 Microtek at Best Buy for density and price and
features.  Microtek USB seems to be supported by linux but not the model I'm
looking at.  I think that linux support lags Windoz support (naturally)in
time since somebody (some good soul) has to reverse engineer the interface.
My thinking is that I'll scan with windoz if I have to and push dig images to
linux to final work on web pages or gimping.  Later on I expect sane will
support the Microtek I bought (if it does not already support it).

--
mueller, mike

An engineer pretending to have useful IT skills.