[TriLUG] Oracle book recommendation?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 27 10:01:10 EST 2002

Good morning folks,

I'm being tasked with learning a little bit about Oracle 9i on Linux.
While I realize that Oracle is a hugely complicated application, and
something that takes years to master, I'm wondering if anyone can
recommend a good book to learn the basics.  I have a moderate amount of
experience with RDBMS's such as MySQL and M$ SQL Server, so I'm not a
complete newbie to the arena, but I've never used Oracle.  And I don't
need to learn any advanced topics, just be able to get around a bit.

I see that O'Reilly has an "Oracle in a Nutshell" book coming out next
month.  I've always been impressed with the "Nutshell" series and will
look for reviews of that when it comes out.  There are dozens of other
Oracle books from O'Reilly, and of course dozens of other publishers, so
it's a big daunting trying to figure out where to start!

Thanks for any advice,

Jeremy Portzer