[TriLUG] my latest kernel attempt

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Nov 27 23:03:39 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 16:10, Greg Brown wrote:
> My latest kernel custom attempted ended, yet again, in failure.
> Bummer.  Here's a step-by-step of what I did and what I (didn't) manage
> to accomplish.
>
> all steps as root
>
> cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
>
> make mrproper (returns lots of STDOUT)
>
> make xconfig
> 	(make changes)
> 	Save and Exit
>
> make dep
>
> make clean
>
> vi Makefile
> 	change EXTRAVERSION to -3custom-greg
> 	save and exit

Hi Greg,

As we've said before, you need to run "make dep" (and then make clean)
*after* changing the EXTRAVERSION, not before.  I normally make this
change (if I'm going to) as the first step (after make mrproper).  I
don't know if this is your actual problem, but I would strongly
recommend this change in procedure.

--Jeremy