[TriLUG] more (different) kernel compile problems

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 29 08:37:31 EST 2002

Hey all.  I started to re-do the kernel (with make dep and make clean AFTER
changing the Extraversion flag) and now I'm having another problem.

When I run make bzImage I get the following error:

]# make bzImage
make: *** No rule to make target `include/linux/autoconf.h', needed by
`include/linux/version.h'.  Stop.

I decided to see if I could find autoconf.h and sur enough, it's on the
system:

[linux-2.4]# find / -name autoconf.h -print
/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h

version.h is on the system as well, in a bunch of different places.  The
result of this is no kernel is built in .../i386/boot:

ls /usr/src/linux-2.4/arch/i386/boot
bootsect.S  compressed  install.sh  Makefile  setup.S  tools  video.S

I looked around on-line for what could be causing this but I can't find
anything yet.  Any ideas?

Greg