[TriLUG] my latest kernel attempt

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sat Nov 30 21:02:00 EST 2002

Agreed. IIRC, the depndencies set themselves to the EXTRAVERSION in the
Makefile, so the way you are running it I think is causing the
dependencies to go to one dir in the /lib/modules directory, and when
you create the kernel, it looks in another.

Here's my way. This is on RedHat Linux ( I think Jeremy and I do the
same thing):

cd /usr/src/linux

make mrproper

vi Makefile - edit EXTRAVERSION info

cp ../.config .config  (copy my .config file from previous kernel if I
have one for the machine)

make oldconfig ( may no longer be needed, but old habits...)

make xconfig (or menuconfig if X is not present) and set kernel parameters

make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install (yes, I run these all as
one command)

go get snack, go get coffee, watch tv <g!>

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-#.#.##-EXTRAVERSION (kernel
version plus EXTRAVERSION line in Makefile)

cp System.map /boot/System.map-#.#.##-EXTRAVERSION(kernel version plus
EXTRAVERSION line in Makefile)

mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-#.#.##-EXTRAVERSION (kernel version plus
EXTRAVERSION line in Makefile)

edit /etc/grub.conf (I don't use lilo anymore) and add lines for newest
kernel

reboot and test

HTH.

Just my $0.02 ... Change requested