[TriLUG] A Newbie's question about changing hardware on my Linux machine.

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 11 12:21:55 EST 2002

O.K. after the last installfest at NCSU the Trilug helpers got just about
all of my hardware to finally work on Mandrake. Unfortunately, I'm going to
swap out my CD-RW drive (which is presently 4x) for one of the newer models
which is around 40x. (and there probably won't be another Installfest any
time soon, esp. with everyone recovering from the storm) So I'm wondering
before I do this (and might live to regret it!)  how do I tell Mandrake 8.1
that there is a faster, newer CD-RW in the box?? Intrex is going to install
the new CD-RW, but they "don't do Linux" (at least the guy I talked to at
the Cary store doesn't--they used to have a guy who did).

I have two hard drives in drawers which allow me to put them in and take
them out of  the box because there are lockable cases for them to reside in.
This allows me to experiment with Linux at will without disturbing anything
in the surly MS 98 OS. I'm looking forward to the day when I can finally
tell MS to kiss my @#$#!! Unfortunately there are some amateur radio
programs from Japanese companies (they manufacture just about all the ham
radio gear at present) which are probably going to always require MS to
work. I realize that it takes a while for Linux to obtain drivers for new
hardware. So if I could just be reassured that the newer CD-RW will probably
continue to work anyway (albeit at a lower speed), it would be good news
indeed. But the CD-RW is such an important piece of hardware because it's
just about the only way now to save a large quantity of data.
As you can tell I'm still a rank newbie with LINUX. If you prefer to discuss
this subject off the list my email address is alfjon at mindspring.com. Happy
Holidays Everyone.----Al Johnson.

Al Johnson.