[TriLUG] Re: A Newbie's question about changing hardware on my Linux machine.

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 17:11:11 EST 2002

I upgraded the CD-RW on my nicest box with no configuring necessary.
I went from 2X HP to 24X Phillips.
The box is Debian which AFAIK has no automated hardware detection,
so none was needed :-)
All I ended up doing was using "speed=24" instead of "speed=2" when I
invoked cdrecord. [insert Tim Allen-style grunts here]

They were both "Generic mmc CD/RW" as reported by cdrecord, but I
believe pretty much everything is these days. As the hardware looks
identical, there's no reason for the kernel to care, and cdrecord
(which AFAIK is what all of the front-ends use under the covers) is
pretty smart about auto-detecting the subtler differences like buffer
size.

Corey