[TriLUG] Suspending a running process?

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Fri Dec 13 17:01:20 EST 2002

Jeremy wrote:
> Processes that are currently active in a terminal can be suspended with
> ^Z and then managed with the job-control commands like fg,bg, and jobs.
> However, what if I want to suspend a process that's not connected to a
> shell -- like a background daemon?  Is there a signal that can do
> that?  How would I then wake it up?

Look in section 7 of the man pages for the signals ('man 7 signal' on
your command line).

I haven't tried this myself (famous last words), but SIGSTOP will stop
the process while SIGCONT willcontinue the process.  the kill(1) command
will send the signal to the process by specifying it's PID.

kill -STOP <pid>
kill -CONT <pid>

Good Luck,

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |	http://www.xray.ncsu.edu
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204