[TriLUG] my latest kernel attempt

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 15 16:47:05 EST 2002

It worked!  Sorta.

I downloaded 2.4.20 from kernel.org and built away.  I enabled the
stuff that Tom 'Spot' mentioned in his class and I made sure that I
enabled USB for my USB mouse.  Updating lilo was a snap this time - no
errors and the machine rebooted.  Upon reboot I selected 2.4.20c from
the list and it started to boot!  Things were looking good.

For whatever reason my mouse got knocked off (I guess I didn't have USB
set up correctly) and X-Windows refused to work as well.  Oh - and my
3c509 10/100 card wasn't working either.  Who knows what else went
wrong. ;)  I guess I could have just tweaked the settings in my default
RH kernel to change over from PIII to AMD and just gone with that.
Maybe I'll try that next.

Thanks again for the kernel class.  It made all the difference between
my last attempt, which turned my machine into an expensive brick, and
this attempt which nearly worked.

Greg