[TriLUG] Telocity/DirecTVDSL defunct

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Mon Dec 16 12:10:49 EST 2002

Alas,

Unfortunately your options with Road Runner are all within the realm of
providing, for the most part, an illusion of competition.

We have first off, the obvious suspects, they list Road Runner, Road
Runner Business, and AOL Broadband as different providers. We all know
of course they are AOLTW.

They also have this mystery company, max.inter.net, that no one has ever
heard about. But, if you call them up and ask them, you will find that
they are in fact a wholey owned subsidiary of AOLTW, offering only a
slightly different pricing model.

Lastly we have Earthlink, aka Sprint, who is definitely in bed with
AOLTW. The default Earthlink home page that comes with their software
for the triangle area is at least partially managed by people on Road
Runner pay roll. Technical support is managed by Time Warner. Billing is
managed by Time Warner. The installer that comes to your house is Time
Warner. For the first couple weeks of service with Earthlink, I even had
an *.nc.rr.com IP address.

And then also there are items such as this:
"AOL to promote Sprint long-distance service"
http://www.itworld.com/Net/2607/IDG011127aol_sprint/

So I suppose the point is basically that if you go with a cable modem,
you are going with AOLTW. ;)

Regards,
Tom