[TriLUG] Telocity/DirecTVDSL defunct

Thomas C. Meggs tom at plik.net
Mon Dec 16 12:16:51 EST 2002

Well, Earthlink == TWC and your stability is entirely hit or miss.

With a cable modem it has everything to do with how the equipment out at
the street is doing, and how the connection from the street to your
house is.

I have Earthlink through TWC and I have had horrible, horrible
connection problems. I have had techs out to my house closing in on a
dozen times, and they still haven't permanently fixed my problems. On a
good day my connection only goes down 10% of the time I'm trying to use
it, on a bad day it is just down. My cable modem loses signal numerous
times throughout the day.

Recall also that the people that come to your house to fix it are TWC
employed, not Earthlink people. From my experience overall these people
that come to your house are grossly incompetant and haven't the
slightest clue what in the hell is going on with your equipment. I've
had even had two 'linemen' out to my house as well, with no luck on
improving my connection problems.

But with all things, you can't make generalities. At my old place I
never had a problem with my connection. I have lots of friends who have
no problems with their connections.

Regards,
Tom