[TriLUG] Updating with current

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Dec 16 14:27:58 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 13:30, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I have what is probably a stupid question about current
> (http://www.biology.duke.edu/computer/unix/current/).  How can I add an
> RPM?  I created an RPM that I would like to distribute and added it to
> the appropriate directory on the current server.  Then I reran the
> create script.  I need to know how to tell current to put it on my
> servers though.  I think that it's trying to be smart -- like not
> putting apache updates on servers that don't have apache installed --
> but I want to override that.  Any hints?

It isn't really the responsibility of the current server to install RPMs
on clients that don't already have them.  It's only supposed to be
providing clients with updated versions of RPMs that are already
installed.  This is especially the case with today's version of current,
which doesn't store "state" information about the clients (like RHN
does).

You can, however, use the up2date client to download and install from
the current server by running "up2date -i <programname>".  This has to
be done on the client though.

--Jeremy