[TriLUG] other LUGs

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 16 15:47:32 EST 2002

Has anyone from TriLUG dealt with other LUGs from around the Country?  Are
they are as good as TriLUG about setting up install-fests for those who don't
know how to install Linux?  I imagine so, but I wanted to ask anyway.

The reason is this:  One of my hobbies is camping and RVing.  Wi-Fi is a hot
topic right now in the RV circles because it helps keep full-timers, and those
fortunate enough to be able to be on the road for longer then a week at a
stretch, in touch with their families.  It's not unusual to see a retired
couples who were formerlly not computer uses using Wi-Fi laptops close to RV
parks (or where they can find service).

Anyway, to make a long story shorter, I'm writing an article for a RV magazine
about WEP, SSL, and so on and in the end I'm going to suggest using a SSH
tunnel for security (using Linux as the proxy server, of course).  Since the
mere mention of Linux is going to send most non-geeks into a melt-down I want
to suggest that the RVers asking around their familes, find someone with a
business, or a home DSL or cable connection, then ask them to set up the Linux
router, proxy server, etc for them.  I am then going to suggest that the
family member contact a LUG neerest to them to get the box set up if it is
beyond thier capabilities.

As I write this I'm starting to think this might not be a good idea but then
again I don't see a better way to get SSH tunnels set up.  And I like the idea
because it might help get more Linux boxes into the hands of non-belivers.  I
mean, are you going to make Grandma cry because you won't ditch for Linksys
for a Linux box so she can read her e-mail and get pictures of her
grandbabies?

Any thoughts?

Greg