[TriLUG] Telocity/DirecTVDSL defunct

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Dec 16 17:32:51 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 16:30, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:

> You're saying that if a salesman purposely misrepresents what he was
> selling then I have no reason to complain? Some companies treat their
> customers to a game of legal one-upmanship where you have to consult a
> lawyer to buy anything. My response is that's a load of crap, and I'll
> do business with companies that fairly represent what they are selling.
> I'm not saying we should do away with contracts, but when companies
> that purposely lie to their customers it should be advertised far and
> wide so they either change their ways or go out of business. And that
> is what I am doing here, warning the public about what happened.
>
> Earlier this year I spent months working on a deal with Bell South,
> only to have them spring the actual terms on me in the contract, when I
> asked them repeatedly for them to just tell me on the phone so we
> wouldn't waste everyone's time.

No, I'm saying that if you didn't read the contract before signing it,
even if you thought it was something else, you can't complain about
the terms of the contract.  How did you find out it was 3 years now?
You must have read the contract at one time, right?  The question I have
is did you read it before or after you signed it.  If before, then
why did you sign it when that wasn't what you wanted.  If after,
then let that be a lesson to you to always read contract beforehand.

The obvious bait and switch tactics, however, are another matter.
I would tend to believe, however, from my personal experience,
that the salesmen there are more incompetent than sinister.  They
most likely have a standard contract that they very often forget
to personalize for everyone completely and just send that out.

You might also check into whether the contract is valid or not.
If you signed it thinking it was something else, the state might
allow you to get out of it.  I still think you should have read
it before signing it.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/