[TriLUG] Telocity/DirecTVDSL defunct

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Tue Dec 17 17:02:20 EST 2002

me thinks the telcos with dsl have their repeaters battery backed up at
the co whereas rr cable has a more distributed system with repeaters out
in the field and, apparently, no batteries.  so, it makes good sense
that there is a difference when the systems come back online.

if you don't have power for the computer, it's a mute point.

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:04, Dan Monjar wrote:
> It was a statement of fact... no implied propaganda.  I have friends who
> got their cable modem back a day or so after they got their power back.  I
> had my DSL back when I got my power back.  Simple statements of fact, I
> think you might be reading too much into what I say.  For the record
> <sheesh>:
>
> My power went out Wednesday night and came back Saturday night.  My DSL was
> back up when power came up.
>
> My friend's power went out Wednesday night and came back Sunday morning.
> His cable modem was out until Monday night.
>

> --On Monday, December 16, 2002 04:21:50 PM -0500 Tanner Lovelace
> <lovelace at wayfarer.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 15:59, Dan Monjar wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been using Bellsouth DSL for over a year now.... I've had no
> >> problems  with the service.  The news servers leave a bit to be desired
> >> but Internet  connectivity is pretty much problem free.  As a recent
> >> data point, I had  DSL back after the ice storm as soon as I got power
> >> back back.  Friends  with RR waited a day or so after power restoration
> >> to get their Internet.
> >
> > Well, I think you need to qualify that statement.  I, for one,
> > had my RR connection back the same day I got power back.  But, I was
> > without power from late Wednesday night (1:30am Thursday morning,
> > actually) until 10:05am on Monday, and I have no idea if RR
> > was out at any time during that time period.  I think chances
> > are good that it was, but I don't know.  So, if you make a statement
> > like that, please qualify it with actual dates (like, when did you
> > get your power back?  when did your friends?).  Otherwise, your
> > statement is pretty useless, except for propaganda.
> >
> > Oh, and from someone who has RR business service, the service is
> > very good.  The only problems I've had were either minimal and
> > easily fixed, or caused by a technician's misunderstanding.  It
> > is pricey, however, and you can probably find DSL service at a
> > better price, if you need a static IP and want to run a server.
> > I have yet, however, to see anyone come close to how quickly
> > RR can get things setup, which is why I stayed with them when
> > I moved to a new house where I can get DSL.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tanner
> > --
> > Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
> > --*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
> > GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
> > GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc
> > --*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
> > <refrain>
> > 1. Creativity and innovation always builds on the past.
> > 2. The past always tries to control the creativity that builds upon it.
> > 3. Free societies enable the future by limiting this power of the past.
> > 4. Ours is less and less a free society.
> > </refrain>

> [...]

Regards,

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.
2610 Vanderbilt Ave
Raleigh NC 27607-7247
tel: 919-838-1672 toll free: 800-617-7652
fax: 919-838-1671 toll free: 888-288-6006
http://www.Neuse.Net