[TriLUG] More specifics on Login Issues

Jeff Tickle jwtickle at jtsoft.net
Wed Dec 18 06:43:11 EST 2002

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped out, first of all.

Let me be a little more specific though.  I am already logging in at the
text-based login prompt.  When I type my username and hit enter, it just
clears the screen and displays the prompt again without asking for a
password.  So, basically, I can't log in.

Or so I thought.  I went to another box in the house and used SSH to get
in as root last night.  I wasn't sure what all "log files" to look at,
but dmesg didn't come up with anything unusual.  So just for fun I typed
init 5 to see if the GUI login worked.  It does.  I am in Linux right
now.

However, there are more problems now.  First, I still can't log in from
a virtual terminal, which is bad.  Also, and this is probably related,
the KDE screensaver does not accept my password to unlock my machine.

I looked at /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, and nothing looks out of the
ordinary.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

-J

--