[TriLUG] RH networking mis-configured

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 19 17:57:13 EST 2002

I have a Java application, which on one particular RH 7.3 machine,
is having a network problem.  The machine seems to be completely
operational (the network is, anyway) - but my app is throwing an
UnknownHostException when I call InetAddress().getLocalHost().

I've run across this before, but I can't recall if I ever diagnosed
the problem.  My gut says the computer name is somehow configured
wrong, and when getting the localhost address, Java is getting the
name and then trying to resolve it?  Or maybe doing a reverse-DNS
lookup to double-check the address?

Any ideas?

TIA,
Chris

p.s. This is released software which has been successfully used
on many Linux machines, both internally and by our customers.

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com