[TriLUG] RPM: spec file questions

Robert Dale rob at nrek.net
Thu Dec 19 16:01:52 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, H Brett Bolen wrote:

> Is there a way to extract the spec file out of an rpm file?

Most rpms don't include the spec file.  There's no way to reverse-engineer
it out either.  But, you can get it from the .src.rpm file.

> When I list the files in the spec file, Do I have to use
> a full pathname -- is there a way to use relative paths
> ( aka  tar cvf MyDir.tar ./MyDir )

Yes, you can use relative paths.  The rpm script is just like a bash
script.

Try http://www.rpm.org/

> Is Maximum RPM still a good source for info?

Yes, it's still relevant.  I think there are only a few things that have
been added since then.

--
Robert Dale