[TriLUG] Re: replacement for netscrape mail

Bob Bell bobbell at zk3.dec.com
Fri Dec 20 14:31:10 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:19:23PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar at golux.com> wrote:
> one big aspect is that i have several *gb* of mail archived in
> netscrape mbox+ format (mbox plus their .snm index file).  so
> whatever mua i move to needs to at least be able to handle the
> mbox files, and preferably the index files as well.

    As an FYI, beware that because mbox isn't a real standard, different
MUAs may parse your mail folder in different ways.  Note the message
count when reading in Netscape, and with a "new" MUAs.  If they are the
same, you are probably okay.

    If not, I've found on nice trick when swapping MUAs is to use an
IMAP server as a go-between, if both MUAs support IMAP.  That is, copy
the messages from the old MUA to the IMAP server, and then copy them
from the IMAP server to local storage with the new MUA.  It has worked
pretty well for me.

--
Bob Bell <bobbell at zk3.dec.com>