[TriLUG] [Xmas present] CD-RW - DVD-ROM Combo. Do they work?

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Dec 21 17:55:09 EST 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:10:56AM -0500, Sinner from the Prairy spoke thusly:
> There's one that Techno Santa specialy likes: a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo unit
> form Samsung (Samsung SM-32, 23x CDR, 10x CDRW, 40x CDROM, 12x DVDROM).

When my last DVD-ROM dies, I went for the all-in-one DVD+/-RW from
Sony. Writes everything except DVD-ROM.

It works like a champ under Linux, although there are some special
hacks you need to do DVD+RW.

> I'm fearless, so I don't mind having to spend some time tweaking around
> ( have MDK 9.0. I can mess with the Kernel compilation, boot options,
> create entried in the /dev...)

To use a DVD-ROM/CD-RW you shouldn't need anything new - it shoudl
Just Work(tm) - at least all those functions did for me under Red hat
Linux 8.0. Of course, I ahd to add the DVD playback software myself -
but once installed, it worked like a champ.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --