[TriLUG] Re: replacement for netscrape mail

Rob Lembree lembree at metrolink.com
Fri Dec 20 17:28:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 13:19, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> one big aspect is that i have several *gb* of mail archived in
> netscrape mbox+ format (mbox plus their .snm index file).  so
> whatever mua i move to needs to at least be able to handle the
> mbox files, and preferably the index files as well.
>
> and lastly, the mua needs to be able to leave pop messages on the
> server, and keep track of its own pop state and not rely on any
> notion the server may have about which ones are new and which
> have already been downloaded.

If it didn't have to run on Windoze, I'd say Evolution.  I've been
using it for probably 2 years now, and I love it.  It does pretty
much everything that I've ever wanted it to do, and doesn't slow
down with 20,000 items in the inbox (or maybe it's a 2GHz CPU and
fast memory, I dunno)  It imports your several GB of NS mail and
settings as well.

> so.. anyone have any suggestions?  will mozilla do it?  or opera?

mail and web are fundamentally different applications.   Why any
self-respecting Unix coder would cram them into one monolithic app
is beyond me.  I don't think that I'd ever go back to such a beast.

--

Rob Lembree                        Metro Link Incorporated
29 Milk St.			     lembree at metrolink.com
Nashua, NH 03064-1651             http://www.metrolink.com
Phone:  954.660.2460               Alternate: 603.577.9714
PGP: 1F EE F8 58 30 F1 B1 20       C5 4F 12 21 AD 0D 6B 29