[TriLUG] Roadrunner

William Gomeringer neisture at pihlopase.mine.nu
Sun Dec 29 18:26:27 EST 2002

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted here. I just got my
internet back up. It was down from the ice storm. I had been a BellSouth
DSL customer for almost three years. I moved right after the ice storm
and decided that I was tired of being charged $50 to transfer my DSL and
$50 to transfer my phone service everytime I moved. I got rid of both,
upgraded my cell phone plan, and decided to try out Roadrunner. I am
glad I did. I have clocked speeds of 2.9Megabits per sec so far, twice
as fast as my old DSL. Anyway, I have a question or two about Time
Warner's strictness when it comes to running Web servers, email servers,
telnet and such. Now, I know the contract says you are not allowed, but
you are not allowed on DSL either and I did for almost a year. I'm not
doing much. I have a server running Apache, postfix, telnet, etc. It is
mostly used by me when I am on the road as I keep all my school work in
my home directory on the server as well as my cd collection. So, how
lenient is Time Warner in the Chapel Hill area when it comes to running
servers? Does anyone have any advice they could give me? Unplug the
server now before the FBI knock down my door, bound me, and confiscate
my computers? Thanks. William
--
William Gomeringer <neisture at pihlopase.mine.nu>