[TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Mon Dec 30 13:05:39 EST 2002

Cool... I made the final switch in much the same circumstance, and
haven't had a need to go back yet.  Responses are in the message...

CJK

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 12:40, al johnson wrote:
> Since my windows hard drive totally crashed yesterday, I'm really glad that
> I didn't have a dual-boot system on that drive. So, I'm working with Linux as
> my ONLY OS (with the exception of my Mac Powerbook's OSX). This being the
> case naturally I have some questions about Linux. Some of them are simple
> questions which I haven't really had much luck with help, others are probably
> questions that only experts can answer.
>      I'll start at the beginning. The distribution is Mandrake 8.1 and it was
> installed at the Trilug installfest. And as far as I can tell, they did a
> great job. I really haven't used it that much since I prefer to go slow since
> I know it is easy to totally screw up any OS.
>      I tried Evolution as my email program, but switched to KDE Mail after
> receiving this error message after trying to send an email:
>
> "SMTP server Mindspring.com does not support authentication type PLAIN"
>
> OK, I'm totally in the dark about what this all means. Any info on how to
> remedy this problem ==or is it just a problem with the WAY  I tried to send
> this message (Incidentally if this message is received you will know that I
> succeeded with Kmail).?
>
> That's the first question.

Well, does KMail work for you?

Evolution, under the Sending Mail options on the account has a checkbox
for "Server Requires Authentication"  Most servers do not.  But even if
Mindspring does, it apparently isn't PLAIN, and you can try clicking the
button "Check for supported types" To have Evolution test what to use
here.  (Caveat... I've not done this, as none of my servers require
authentication, but it *should* work)

> My second question is also an error message which I think I know what it
> means (but I'm not certain) has to do with an error which occurs when the
> system is checking itself just before booting into Linux. OK it's checking
> this and that and just a few things fail but there is one item which reads as
> follows:  "Bringing up interface eth0:" at which point the system pauses for
> a very long time and then tries to obtain "ip info for eth0 interface" which
> fails and then the other one also fails . Now I have a Lan card on this
> computer which is not connected at the moment (I use a modem instead).
> So since eth could mean ethernet I'm just guessing that that is what that
> error means. But if I'm correct, shouldn't I terminate it or something to
> prevent this error from happening??
>
>  That's my second question.

Well, what's almost certainly happening here is that Linux is trying to
grab a DHCP address for that LAN card.  (you are right that eth0 is your
network card) Because the card isn't attached to anything, the DHCP
attempt times out after what seems to be an eternity.  Probably the best
thing to do is to tell your computer to not activate teh network card on
boot, or statically assign some nonsense IP to the card.  (Methods for
doing this differ depending on distribution.)

Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org>