[TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Mon Dec 30 17:45:32 EST 2002

I don't know Mandrake, but if it's like Red Hat, then "service network
stop" *will* drop the modem connection.  Oh, and the assumption is that
all these commands are issued by the root account.

If this were a Red Hat system of modestly recent (>=5.2?) publication,
then you could disable the (first) ethernet adapter by

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop # all network services halted
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
mv ifcfg-eth0 DISABLE_IFCFG-ETH0 # prevent start from affecting eth0
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

To re-enable the first ethernet adapter,

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
mv DISABLE_IFCFG-ETH0 ifcfg-eth0
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

     - Stephen