[TriLUG] Boot Loaders and the like

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 2 09:29:57 EST 2003

As Jim Ray points out, if you simply want to remove the RH Boot options
and get a clean Windows boot, you can install over your current Boot
Loader (LILO) with Windows MBR.

Get a windows bootable disk (MS-DOS) and copy fdisk.exe onto the disk,
boot using the disk and run fdisk /mbr.  If that doesn't work then
you'll have to boot to Linux (command line will d0) and use the dd
command to blank out the Boot area of the disk.

Microsoft's Boot loader is poorly written and simply refuses to work if
it finds some spare bits turned on near the end of the unused section of
the boot area on the disk (even though it doesn't use that area...).
You know, if it's going to check that area, then is should friggin'
format the whole section when it installs.

Good Luck -Jon