[TriLUG] Re: Modem Hangup

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 2 13:53:20 EST 2003

> And I also have another which I asked a long time ago when I first joined
> Trilug.
>
> I asked if there was a way to hang up my modem (i.e. my internet connection
> and telephone) without resetting the computer at any period of time that I
> might desire, e.g. 10 min. , 20 min., 1 hour, 2 hours, 2 hours and 20 mins.,
> etc. At that time long before I had a good working Linux machine I was given
> a one line Terminal command to accomplish just that. If anyone remembers what
> it was, I'd love to have it now!!.

I don't have a terminal command, but another program pointer: "diald".
It's what managed my Internet connection until I broke down and got
Roadrunner :-)
It will bring up the modem link on-demand (whenever there is traffic)
and drop it after a configurable period of idle time.
It's also got an "impulse" feature (which I did not personally use) that
would allow you to configure policies like "if you dial up, might as well
stay online for N minutes, as it's not any cheaper to disconnect earlier".

On the other hand, if you're using wvdial, possibly something like:

sleep <number of seconds> ; pkill wvdial &

might could do the trick.

Corey