[TriLUG] IPTables

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Jan 2 16:02:40 EST 2003

if you're going to use iptables, you might as well go ahead and remove
ipchains altogether (rpm -e ipchains).  or at the very least disable it
(chkconfig ipchains off).

as for starting and running iptables, i find it easiest to simply create a
shell script with the necessary commands (insert modules, change kernel
networking parameters, iptables statements, etc), call it firewall.sh, chmod
755 the file, and stick it in /etc.  then start it by adding
"/etc/firewall.sh" at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  there are other ways of
doing things with iptables, but i find this to be the easist, most
straightforward, and easiet to troubleshoot and modify.

jason