[TriLUG] RH 8.0 install problems

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 2 16:14:58 EST 2003

Hi All-

I've got a problem that has been hitting me all day long on one particular
system (I searched google, and a few others have had similar problems).

I can get through the GUI install up to where it formats/starts installing
packages ... then I eventually get the following error:

"There was an error installing XXXXXXX.  This can indicate media failure,
lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems.  This is a fatal error and
your install will be aborted.  Please verify your media and try your install
again"

I've scanned my disks at the beginning of the install, and all were OK for
install.  I'm installing this to a 7GB+ partition, so I doubt I could run
out of space (I chose a full install each time).  It has happened at least
5+ times today.  Each time when "there was an error installing XXXX" was
printed ... XXXX was something different.  This last time it was
"up2date-3.0.7-1", but I've seen "kernel", "XFree-" and maybe something like
"Cannal" (this is all off the top of my head) ... plus there have been a few
others.

Can anyone offer any advice?  The hard drives (I've got 2 80GB drives) are
brand new ... and supposedly were check before install to see if they were
bad (not sure what program they ran).  In addition, would anyone know of a
good "bootup" hard drive checking utility (for ext file systems, or not)?

Thanks,
Doug

Ps  if you reply, please CC me on the reply as well as to trilug -- I'm on
digest mode