[TriLUG] Re: AGP card suggestion please

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 2 16:42:59 EST 2003

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 13:22:52 -0800, Greg Kuhn wrote:
>I need suggestions for an AGP video card. My needs are as follows:
>- compatible with w2k/xp and RedHat
>- enough memory to allow game playing on winblows,
>  need at least 32M
>- preferably easy to setup on my existing RH7.3
>  installation
>- cost, can't afford a super expensive card right
>  now

A quick glance on www.pricewatch.com for "nvidia gf4mx" reveals a $51
tag for "AOpen GeForce4 MX 440 64MB AGP TVO (Retail Box)." Nvidia cards
have solid drivers, and they perform well in 3D applications (having
the most robust of the consumer OpenGL implementations I've seen).

If you do not {heart} Nvidia and would rather have fully-open drivers,
a similar search on pricewatch for "ati radeon 7500" reveals a $36 tag
(plus shipping) for " ATI® Radeon? VE 7000 32MB DDR RAM AGP 4X with
DVI, CRT & TV-Out, Dual View optional - Retail." ATI provides
accelerated binary-only drivers, but only for their 8500+ cards. The
7000/7500 are decently supported via XFree86/DRI.

Both cards meet the requirements you outlined, though the Nvidia one
will set you back a bit more.

-Dan

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc