[TriLUG] Boot Loaders and the like

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 2 16:46:18 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 07:24, Jim Ray wrote:
> You'll need to begin the RH8 installation again and remove partitions
> with fdisk.  That step will wipe your hard drive and let you load the OS
> of your choice.
>
> In the DOS world, there's also the fdisk /mbr

It should be clarified that fdisk /mbr only removes (overwrites) the
bootloader of the primary hard drive; it doesn't change any of the
partitions, and therefore doesn't uninstall anything (except the
bootloader).  To completely "uninstall" Linux, run just "fdisk" from
DOS, or the  partitioning control panel applet in Windows, to actually
delete the Linux partitions.

There are MANY good books on getting started with Linux, understanding
partitioning and boot loaders; I would check the library first so that
your total cost is "free."  There are also some good online beginner's
manuals -- see http://trilug.org/LDP/ for the Linux Documentation
Project for example.

--Jeremy