[TriLUG] email (imap) setup question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 2 16:53:27 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 10:05, Henryk M. Kowalski wrote:

> Now I'm even more puzzled:
> - My system is running UW IMAP (also *apparently* standard on Mandrake).
>   I didn't recompile or do anything unusual during install of rpms.  As
> you know, there IS NO config file for UW IMAP.
> - imap IS spawned by xinetd
> - I checked xinetd.d AND 'chkconfig --list' and ps -aux  :  No mention
> of ident or auth anywhere
>

> service imap
> {
>          disable = no
>          socket_type             = stream
>          wait                    = no
>          user                    = root
>          server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
>          log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
>          log_on_failure          += USERID
> }
>

> Sooo...  It's still unresloved.
> It's not interfering with my system (now) and I haven't found any
> mentions of any ident exploits, but it's an unsolved riddle.

Yeah I agree this is puzzling.  I checked the xinetd man page and
couldn't find anything about enabling/disabling ident.  There are some
mentions in Google hits about exploits with the ident *server* and
xinetd, so make sure you have the latest errata (I assume this goes
without saying!)  But there's nothing about ident checks being done by
other servers like imap.  Could there be something in a firewall
(hardware or software) that's intervening and causing the ident query?

--Jeremy