Modem Hangup (was Re: [TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions)

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 3 02:21:16 EST 2003

Well, actually, I don't want to hang up the modem because of inactivity. I
want to go online and download files. And I want to be able to go to bed and
be assured that say for example have the computer hang up just the modem
after an hour or say after 2 hours, etc. The computer would continue to run,
the only thing that would change would be the internet connection would be
hung-up. And several Trilug guys gave me this one line program that you type
in the Terminal (using the proper status, naturally) which you just put the
number of minutes you wanted to keep the line open. It was something like
this, "Kill the internet connection after 60 mins."  or "Hang up the modem
after x mins."   As I recall, it was about this brief, but unfortunately I
lost it when my Windows drive crashed. It was not complicated at all. It
really doesn't harm the system at all any more than what happens when for
some reason your connection suddenly gets terminated by your I.S.P., for some
reason known only to God or them. :-)
---Happy New Year,  Al Johnson.