Fwd: Re: [TriLUG] Re: Modem Hangup

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 3 02:30:06 EST 2003

Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Re: Modem Hangup
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 01:34:28 -0500
From: al johnson <alfjon at mindspring.com>
To: trilug at trilug.org

Well, I distinctly remember the existence of a one line terminal command
which could switch off my modem's internet connection after a certain number
of minutes which I could specify. Ordinarily, I would look for it on my
Windows Hard disk (where I had it saved), but unfortunately everything on
that drive is literally "Gone with the Wind", to use Margaret Mitchell's book
title. I  had a Windows program which did this, and I've found it to be
extremely valuable, esp. when I was doing large downloads, or a large number
of downloads. It is also extremely handy to use during the morning and dinner
times when the telemarketers are most likely to call and interrupt your
dinner. It's a great way to say "No" to the telemarketers, because you don't
even have to talk to them!! To retrieve emergency messages we have Bell
South's $5 @ month voice mail. Anything we can do to stop telemarketers from
interrupting the peace and quiet of our dinners is truly a blessing. ---Al
Johnson.