[TriLUG] print server woes

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 5 18:14:32 EST 2003

Hi all.  Here is my lastest problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a Red Hat 8.0 system which I would like to use as a print server for
Mac OS X laptops.  I connected the printer via a serial cable (not USB) and RH
saw the printer (LaserJet 1200) and printed out a test page.  Goodie.  For the
record I can also print from StarOffice to the local printer.

The promblem starts when I attempt to set up the box as a print server.
According to Red Hat's web page
("<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/admin-primer/s1-printers-sharing.html">)

I created a file called /etc/hosts.lpd as root and added the devices which I
wanted to access the print server.  I then went to the Print Center in Mac OS
X, added the printer's hostname (as a IP printer) and I am unable to print a
test page.

I figured that iptables might be stopping me by blocking a port so I stopped
it since I was unsure which port it was going to use in the first place
(service iptables stop).  A port can from my Mac shows several ports open now,
one of which is labeled "line printer spooler".

Stopping iptables didn't seem to help.  Still no print jobs going through.

Next I rooted around in /etc/lpd.perms and added the line:
ACCEPT SERVICE=X REMOTEIP=192.168.15.0.0/255.255.255.0, 128.0.0.1/8
and commented out the following line:
REJECT SERVICE=X NOT SERVER

This didn't work so I uncommented out the NOT SERVER line and put the "ACCEPT
SERVICE" line directly above it and re-read the perms file and
restarted lpd for good measure.

This didn't seem to do anything for me either.  Oh - each time a change was
made I made sure to restart the lpd service (service lpd restart) and I even
threw in a reread of the perms file (lpc reread).  Still no luck and no print
jobs.

Has anyone out there sucessfully printed to a lpd printer with a Mac OS X
cleint?  If so, how'd you do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg