[TriLUG] [OT] Lesson in global economics

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 6 23:47:55 EST 2003

I am in discussions with a Romanian telecom operator.  I've failed in
previous attempts to close business with Romanians.  This time I decided to
learn something about software system economics in Eastern Europe.  I offered
to work at the same rate as a Romanian programmer. (Why not?  There's nothing
wrong with Romanian programmers. Their circumstances keep them from being on
the cutting edge of contrived technology.) Here is what I received:

"In Romania the average income is near 100 USD / month ... and for a good
programmer I think is about 300$/month.  Please give me the estimation of the
effort and I will try to calculate it ."

I knew it would be low, but I never guessed it would be *that* low.  It
doesn't take a Chicago economist to figure the effect that lowered trade
barriers and fiber optics will have on first world economies.  There is going
to be a massive redistribution of wealth.

Of course Linux and Open Source software are redistributing technological
wealth.  Is that a good thing?  Hopefully a philosophical argument will
ensue. :)  I see the argument from a frontline position.  My earning power
has been seriously impacted in the current economic climate.  Should I expect
to be earning 10-40 times more than Romanians?

I want to do the project the Romanians think they want:  an open source IMT
to PRI switch.  It probably has wide applications in the second world.
Anybody else interested?
--
Mike M.