[TriLUG] Slightly OT: AOL Cable Broadband & Linux

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Jan 6 12:59:37 EST 2003

as neat as it is to run a linux box as a router, it's probably not necessary
in this case.  just use a regular wireless router (take your pick, they are
all fairly similar) and set the VNC servers to listen on different ports so
you can do selective port forwarding at the router (forward port 5900 to
192.168.0.2, 5901 to 192.168.0.3, and so on).  a few models have a parallel
port and print server built in as well.

running a seperate linux router w/ iptables may give a little extra security,
but the added complexity is probably not worth the effort.  if security is a
concern, use a wireless router with a SPI firewall, that should be close
enough to an iptables solution.

jason