[TriLUG] Slightly OT: AOL Cable Broadband & Linux

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 6 14:00:57 EST 2003

I'd suggest just the opposite.  I have a linux based edge device
(router, iptables, blah) and it works great.  Having this in places
allows me to:

1. run iptables (which I really like as a firewall)
2. run a ssh server on the Internet side (most of the boxed edge
routers can forward ports, but it's just not as fun)
3. run a wide open sendmail server which allows forwarding (of course
only on the inside interface  - can't have an open sendmail server on
the Internet side).   This was your parents can send mail that looks
like it originates from AOL even though it might be coming from a
different domain.
4. run a web server (if you care to)

There are other reasons why I like to have a edge linux device, but
these are the ones that come to mind first.  But it does add complexity
but, on the flip side, I think it would make remote administration of
the network a bit easier if you can ssh right into the edge router from
anywhere on the Internet.  And this can all run on a P-II system.  It's
quite possible you can get your hands on a P-II Dell for less than a
broadband router.

Just my $.02.

Greg