[TriLUG] NTP Problem

Scott Stancil sstancil at geekrooms.com
Mon Jan 6 14:19:49 EST 2003

I am having an interesting time with NTP.  I am trying to create a lower
stratum server for my organization and I am testing with the following
ntp.conf file.

/etc/ntp/ntp.conf:
driftfile /etc/ntp/ntp.drift
server ntp.shorty.com
server ntp-1.vt.edu
server clock.via.net

/etc/sysconfig/ipchains:
-A input -s clock.via.net -d 0/0 123 -p udp -j ACCEPT
-A input -s ntp.shorty.com -d 0/0 123 -p udp -j ACCEPT
-A input -s ntp-1.vt.edu -d 0/0 123 -p udp -j ACCEPT

If the xntp service is stopped, ntpdate seems to sync me up no problem.
If I start up the service though and issue the ntptrace command:

# /usr/sbin/ntptrace
localhost.localdomain: stratum 2, offset 0.000013, synch distance 0.08939
clock.via.net:  *Timeout*

Anyone have a notion as to what I am missing?

--
Scott Stancil
sstancil at geekrooms.com