[TriLUG] Slightly OT: AOL Cable Broadband & Linux

bp bpevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 6 15:20:25 EST 2003

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 14:30, bp wrote:
>

>>Even though my experice says linux routers get better uptime than router
>>appliances I'd still go with a router appliance.
>>

>Really?  My experience says the opposite.  I've never had
>any trouble with my netgear router that I couldn't explain
>as something being mixed up somewhere else.

I think the Linksys router just couldn't deal with the heat in the
laundry nook.  It would lock up on a pretty regular basis requiring no
more than a quick power cycle to get it going again.  My current DLink
has locked up 2 or 3 times in the couple of months, it will not answer
pings/http traffic from the LAN side although the lights are lit and it
functions as a switch just fine.  The dlink typically does this when
scp'ing huge amount of data to the inside.

The previous linux solution was amazingly stable - every downtime was
either related to catastrophic hardware failure, my own learning curve
or extended power outages.  And that was with it running our own DNS,
 Apache, SSH, Samba, lpr, and NFS servers on it.

 -bp