[TriLUG] linuux mouse kvm problems

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Wed Jan 8 11:08:02 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:00:10AM -0500, David R. Matusiak wrote:
> this whole dealy scares me /real/ bad.  i need a KVM solution in the
> worst way, but i have been putting it off because of lack of $$$ and
> phantom issues like those listed in this thread.  i'd hate to lay out
> $150 + cables and wind up *still* having multiple thingies (in this
> case, mice) connected.
>
> anyone have any happy stories?  perhaps KVM over IP??  or even a
> different manufacturer??

KVM over IP is basically what you get by using VNC.  One limitation is
that you can't have different machines actually driving the monitor at
different resolutions/rates.  Different resolutions end up being
different sized VNC client windows.  You might also run into problems
with motion video (playing fast-moving games, watching video playback)
because of network latency, but that would probably be the case with any
"over IP" solution.

Mike

--
Mike Broome