[TriLUG] linuux mouse kvm problems

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Wed Jan 8 11:51:34 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 11:41, Joseph Tate wrote:
> No, I haven't looked at the manual.  I'll definitely look.  I've got the
> ps2 version.

The manual for the one I have says it can be mapped to Scroll Lock
instead of Ctrl.

> As for the wireless mice: I don't get the wheel in linux, and if you've
> got a fourth/fifth button it/they won't show up in either windows or
> linux.  Very inconvenient.  This with both of my wireless Logitech mice.
>  Contact with IoGear's tech support resulted in "oh, we don't support
> wireless mice", even though the MouseMan+ (which I have the wireless
> version of) is clearly marked on the box as supported.

Ah. Interesting. Must have to do with their way of interpreting the
signals from the mouse and translating those into something to send to
the PC. It's certainly true, AFAICT, that the computer doesn't actually
see the same mouse; the kernel logs show that it's a general PS/2 mouse
with ATEN (?) as the manufacturer. ATEN makes the USB stuff inside many
of the USB KVM switches, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on wireless. I would have been sorely
disappointed to find that it didn't work on my stuff after dropping a
pretty penny on a wireless mouse.

I wonder if wireless keyboards are the same deal.

Thanks,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\