[TriLUG] LVS and RAID

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu Jan 9 08:09:18 EST 2003

Hi,

I was reading an article on SysAdmin Magazine "Review of Current File Systems
and Volume Managers" http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7789/sam0302h/0302h.htm
.

I'm about to implement some Linux systems with RAID 1 (0+1 maybe?). The
article got me into thinking:

What about using LVM?

I used LVM on AIX, back on the IBM days, and it was a nifty thing... when you
learnt how to use it. LVM let me add more partitions to a live filesystem
with just a few keystrokes. I liked it a lot.

And I wondered, how LVM works on Linux today? Is it up for production status?
Has anyone combined it with RAID?

Thank you in advance for your comments, insights, experiences and pointers to
fine manuals.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux Machine # 38068