[TriLUG] red hat sendmail rpms with tls support?

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Thu Jan 9 09:54:30 EST 2003

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Actually, I would like Ken to explain what he means by this.

wrt apache, rh completely ignored/modified/whacked the apachectl
script, giving it a different name, arguments, and location.
other things, too, but that's the most serious in terms of support.
fortunately, mark cox tells me they stopped doing this for 8.0
(maybe 7.3), but since i run neither 8.0 nor the apache rpm i
haven't verified.

this also appears to apply to rh's sendmail rpm.  i don't have the
details right in front of me, but the 'to enable tls' how-tos
say 'add the following to the build.m4 script.'  after spending
hours poring over the rh sendmail patches in the source rpm, and
trying a few obvious things that didn't do diddly, i managed to
get the -DSTARTTLS on the cc command -- and then it varfed mightily.
the issue here is that, post rh patches, the 'build.m4' file was
nowhere to be seen.  apparently everything it does in the sendmail
dist has been yanked out into separate rh-specific scripts.

latest news: sendmail 8.12 rpm needs db-4.  db-4 needs jdkgcj.
jdkgcj needs gcjlib.  gcjlib needs gcc-java.  now why the flying
moose ears does a db package need java libraries???

bah..
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"