[TriLUG] red hat sendmail rpms with tls support?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Jan 9 12:48:50 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:27, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Isn't this so that the service can be run by the standard
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ paradigm (ie, the "service" command)?  I don't see
> what's wrong with that -- it makes it much easier when all services are
> started/stopped the same way.  I agree that previous versions of the
> apache initscript in Red Hat were buggy ("service apache stop" would
> kill all instances of apache if you had multiple versions installed) but
> that's been fixed now.

Also, the services being in /etc/init.d is specified by the Linux
Standard Base, so it would appear in this case that it's apache
that's the contrary one, while Redhat is the standard one?

> I haven't ever built sendmail from source, so this might be bogus, but
> for most applications it's better to enable a function/feature with an
> option to the configure script.  Can you do this with sendmail?  Just
> editing the Makefile to add a define probably won't do what you need,
> since configure does a lot of other "magic" to enable certain features
> (ie, related entries in config.h).

It depends on the application, but very often you can add
something to a makefile to enable things.

> > latest news: sendmail 8.12 rpm needs db-4.  db-4 needs jdkgcj.
> > jdkgcj needs gcjlib.  gcjlib needs gcc-java.  now why the flying
> > moose ears does a db package need java libraries???
>
> It's probably because there are APIs for calling db4 from Java.  As more
> and more packages get sophisticated and compatible with each other, they
> need more and more libraries.  I think it's a fact of life, and disk
> space is cheap!  But I understand your frustration.

If the db-4 rpm itself needs java, I would say that's not a very
good packaging job.  Something like that should be put in a
separate package so it can be installed or not as desired.  From
experience with building new rpms on older systems, though, something
like apt4rpm (or mandrake's urpmi) is very useful. It allows you
to install the dependencies you can (that are already provided)
and then you can go about building the ones you need.

Cheer,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/