[TriLUG] linuux mouse kvm problems

Lisa C. Boyd lisab at trilug.org
Fri Jan 10 11:13:51 EST 2003

David R. Matusiak wrote:
> this whole dealy scares me /real/ bad.  i need a KVM solution in the
> worst way, but i have been putting it off because of lack of $$$ and
> phantom issues like those listed in this thread.  i'd hate to lay out
> $150 + cables and wind up *still* having multiple thingies (in this
> case, mice) connected.

I also remember Tanner (I think?) suggesting that the cables may be what
was causing my monitor flakiness - I have double-shielded cables and
triple-shielded ones are better but also more expensive.

Also it seems as though people who have the powered ones are better off.
FWIW, the power flickered here the other day long enough to crash my
computers (yeah, I know - get an aps) - I couldn't get my KVM switch to
work right. I haven't figured out exactly what happened yet - but the
keyboard stopped working. When I unplugged and plugged the keyboard back
in I saw some cool little blue sparks. So basically I've disconnected
everything from the KVM right now until I can do some more testing.

Don't let the horror stories scare you away though - seems like others
have had much better experiences with some other brands (mine is Belkin).

Lisa B.