[TriLUG] Win4Lin(was linuux mouse kvm problems)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jan 10 11:47:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 11:26, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> Roy Vestal wrote:
> > Be careful. M$ has officially stopped supporting Win95 and plans to stop
> > supporting Win98/Me by the end of Summer 2003. This will affect those
> > that use Win4Lin, suchas myself.
>
> Well, to be honest, I don't use Microsoft support anyways so I wouldn't
> care about calling them with questions :) Although I have Win2k so since
> that isn't supported under Win4Lin I might have to rethink some things.

I think by "support" he meant that Microsoft will stop releasing
hotfixes and updates to fix security and other bugs.    Also, many
prefer vmware to win4lin because it supports both Windows 2000 and
Windows XP in addition to the 9x/Me product line.  With vmware you can
also install Linux virtual machines, which is handy for running multiple
distributions on the same computer.

> I've used Illustrator/Photoshop/Quark for about 10 years now. It's hard
> to switch over to different programs and work quickly. I know I've heard
> people sing the praises of gimp and I hope to learn it one day, but if I
> have to do anything now - it's going to be in Photoshop thus on Windows.
> I'm not even sure what the corresponding programs might be for
> Illustrator and Quark?

While the gimp is great for basic and intermediate image editing, it's
still not nearly as powerful and intuitive as photoshop.  And I don't
know that there are programs anywhere near the level of Illustrator and
Quark.  I agree that Linux does not have the support for graphics
programs that Mac OS and Windows do.   For the time being, you'll have
to continue as you are -- using separate boxes -- or switch to something
like vmware or Win4Lin.  While this sucks from a complete Linux advocacy
standpoint, there's always something to be said about using the right
tool for the job.  If you really want to avoid Microsoft operating
systems, save up for the Mac OS X box. :-)

--Jeremy