[TriLUG] samba configuration -- can't get to share

Mike Kelley ncmike at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 10 12:59:00 EST 2003

I'm new to Linux and I don't know much about it yet so if you respond please
assume I know almost nothing.  I've installed Samba it works great for
printing but I cannot get to the share I've created on the Linux box from my
Win2000 PC.  It seems to be set-up ok in Samba and I can see the share from
the Win2000 PC but when I click on it I get an error message that says
"\\Linux\data is not accessible....The network name cannot be found."  Any
help would be appreciated.  I've checked to make sure that the share has the
appropriate permissions and I've even made sure that there is an account on
the Linux box for the user with the same username and password, though I'm
not sure that this was neccessary.

Mike